Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pub Controversy

When I was in Ireland, I discovered that I really liked pubs. I do not like drinking to excess or any of the stupid stereotypes about college drinking, but rather I enjoy a casual place where I can grab a pint of Guinness (or whatever) with a friend, maybe get some food too, and chat or listen to a live band. So, I was understandably happy to learn that my college has decided to create a pub on campus as soon as possible. They have decided to house this pub (which will also be a coffeehouse, to create a welcoming environment for all students, whether or not they are 21) in the campus's Multicultural House, and to move the Multicultural House's functions to the student union.

I was somewhat less happy to see that almost immediately after this decision, there were students dissatisfied with the change. Now, I promote the free and open exchange of ideas, and I believe that the author of the particular op-ed piece that appeared in the college's newspaper has the right to be dissatisfied. However, his argument for why we should be dissatisfied is flawed for a variety of reasons.

What irks me most about the author's argument is that he does not bother to suggest even one alternative. Personally, I believe any argument improves when one says not just "this is bad" but "this is bad, and here is a better solution." In this case, the author is upset because the pub displaces the Multicultural House's interior space, which is admittedly in high demand, and moves it to the student union, in a newly created but not necessarily better place. I understand his frustration at this level. The question I would ask is "where else would you put the pub?" I have not heard anybody oppose the idea of a pub, but the issue is that, until a space can be found and a new building constructed, the pub has to go somewhere. Putting it in a dorm or an academic building makes no practical sense, and the student union lacks any space with a "pub atmosphere," or at least any space that could be given such an atmosphere without a large-scale renovation. Coincidentally, the student union just did have such a renovation, and part of that renovation was to give Multicultural Affairs more office and meeting space. The author of the op-ed piece welcomed this addition to Multicultural Affairs, but does not believe it is an appropriate substitute for the Multicultural House. At the same time, he does not suggest why any other building should be chosen for the pub space. 

At this point, he expresses concern that there was a lack of student input into the pub plan. However, as the article explaining the change mentions, students were consulted, and while there was not an internet survey or other method that considered every student's opinion, the results of those surveyed was unanimous - taking a fraternity house or the current late-night dining option on campus and simply redressing it would not be enough to create the "pub atmosphere." I have been inside the Multicultural House many times, and it does have a relaxed yet social atmosphere much like many pubs or coffeehouses. At the same time, I am not sure what makes the house particularly "multicultural," other than the Multicultural Affairs director's office, which is being relocated to the student union as part of the existing renovation plan. Certainly, some multicultural groups hold meetings there, but an equal number of people use it for group studying or non-multicultural meetings. The meeting rooms in the student union are (arguably) a better place for meeting - yes, they lack the couches of the Multicultural house, but they have room for large groups to meet, as well as all of the necessary equipment to plan an event, show a movie, or just have a group discussion. The current late-night eatery on campus is being repurposed too - the food will move into the pub/coffeehouse, while the space will become available as a multi-purpose for groups. Multicultural groups will not have preferential treatment when it comes to reserving this space, but true equality means that no group has an advantage like that over any other.

In addition, the author believes, "This move seems to be a temporary solution for the pub, but a permanent move for Multicultural Affairs." Even if the pub gets a new space in the future, Multicultural Affairs will remain in the student union because the college believes that's where it ought to be from now on, and they would not backtrack on that stance. This view is impractical. If the pub moves, will the space sit empty? Highly unlikely - and it would be a prime option for it to become the Multicultural House again. It is also important to remember that this whole idea is kind of an experiment - I believe in the pub, and think it will stay, but if everyone suddenly realizes that the Multicultural Affairs center in the student union is not working as expected (i.e. the previous arrangement was clearly better), there is no reason why they would not start looking for another solution.

Setting the larger argument aside, there's nothing wrong with the college "encouraging the consumption of alcohol" in a setting like this. Right now, the campus lacks a relaxed, public space where students can responsibly meet up and drink if they want to - either you drink in your room or you go to the senior apartments or frat houses, neither of which really balances relaxed but social. Particularly, as I mentioned in an op-ed last fall, if you do not belong to a fraternity, finding a social space where you and your (legal) friends can drink is incredibly difficult right now.

Furthermore, the consumption of alcohol is not, in and of itself, irresponsible. While the college has been holding numerous discussions and debates about "alcohol culture," particularly avoiding a society where the options are either binge drink or don't drink at all, my friends and I found that when we turned 21, we had no interest in the beer-chugging, shot-downing world, but we still liked to enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner or a couple of beers at the end of the day while talking with each other. This is how most responsible adults enjoy alcohol, and a pub goes a long way towards promoting this kind of culture. It tells students that we don't have to go off-campus to socialize at a bar, nor do we have to hide in our rooms as if enjoying a drink or two with your friends is something to be hidden away. At a pub, the bartender can and will cut you off if you've had too much to drink, and the atmosphere of every single pub or bar that I've been to promotes casual socializing, not hardcore drinking. We ought to celebrate that the college is giving us a space like that, instead of irrationally worrying that it will suddenly and improbably turn into a spot for underaged students to get drunk.

TL;DR: The space for a new pub on campus is a good idea - there will still be space for students to meet, and it will create the kind of casual space that our campus needs.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment